Tuesday

KM in the workplace

Hello,

Today had to be one of the longest days I've ever endured. I worked for elections Canada at a polling station in my area of the city as i collected voters ballots and tallied the votes. I arrived at 8:30 am to set up, and finished working at around 11:00 pm, it was a very long day for me. Throughout the day i noticed that their was a complete lack of structure internally when communicating among peers. I found that the poll station organizers never properly explained procedures and guidelines for the day, and the volunteers and workers were left with a lot of on the job training. Only problem is, that this job only lasts one day and it's to determine the leadership of our country; an issue many people consider of the utmost importance. Transferring knowledge and information from polling supervisor to poll clerk and dro never really occurred. Although i was well prepared for my job, i found my co-worker to be extremely lost and unaware of the procedures she needed to take, to successfully complete her job. The most knowledgeable people on the job couldn't really help my colleague. I really believe the voting tallying process needs to become more digitalized, as i find the whole process puzzled many of the employees at the polling stations. The effective sharing and transfer of knowledge is vital for effective business procedures and i just really felt that the election process really suffered from a lack of effective knowledge transfer. I really think the organizers should really focus on better educating employees in the future and making sure they fully understand their tasks for future elections.

No comments: